The other day, I received a great story tip from a social worker about a housing voucher that has recently been cut. This will have a significant and immediate impact on homeless and formerly homeless populations throughout New York City who depend on these vouchers to get and stay off the streets and out of shelters.
I pitched the story to my editor at Fort Greene Patch but it didn’t quite fit within his vision of the site. Nevertheless, I think it’s an important story, and I want to get it out there.
So I turned to a great website called spot.us that uses a crowdfunding model to support citizen journalism. Over the next 6 days, I aim to raise $150 so I can go out and report on the story, and then write it for publication on spot.us and other sites. (I’m already up to $94!)
Here’s what you can do, and before you read on let me just say that you don’t even have to donate to help me raise funds. All you have to do is log-in on the site and fill out a survey!
- Go to my pitch at: http://spot.us/pitches/862-homeless-shelter-residents-may-be-out-on-the-street-due-to-housing-voucher-cuts/details
- Click the large button that says “Free Credits” or “Fund This” on the right. You’ll have to register/login.
- If you clicked “free credits,” then take the quick questionnaire; if you clicked “fund this,” then you can make your contribution via credit card or paypal.
- On the check out page, make sure everything adds up right, applying your credits or how much it will bill you.
- Spread the word about my pitch to your friends and colleagues.
Donations are greatly appreciated, and I will thank you publicly on my website (unless you’d prefer I didn’t), but remember all you have to do is fill out the survey in order to fund my pitch through the site!
Thanks for supporting independent journalism! If you have any thoughts or questions, let me know.